Skip to main content

Baby Abe is here!

We had a pretty crazy weekend. Saturday while I was out and about getting stuff for holiday parties and doing some last minute shopping I got a call from mom saying that I needed to come over and help her with Silas. Jason was taking Brit to labor and delivery because she was itching like crazy from head to toe. Even the palms of her hands and bottoms of her feet were itching. While we were all waiting at the house Brit and I began texting back an forth. They thought her liver enzymes might be elevated. Come to find out they were and she had formed cholestasis. You can click on the word to read more about it.
Print

Some women experience a very severe itching in late pregnancy. The most common cause of this is cholestasis, a common liver disease that only happens in pregnancy. Cholestasis of pregnancy is a condition in which the normal flow of bile in the gallbladder is affected by the high amounts of pregnancy hormones. Cholestasis is more common in the last trimester of pregnancy when hormones are at their peak, but it usually goes away within a few days after delivery. According to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cholestasis occurs in about 1 out of 1,000 pregnancies but is more common in Swedish and Chilean ethnic groups. Cholestasis is sometimes referred to as extrahepatic cholestasis which occurs outside the liver, intrahepatic cholestasis which occurs inside the liver, or obstetric cholestasis.

What causes Cholestasis of pregnancy?

Pregnancy hormones affect gallbladder function, resulting in slowing or stopping the flow of bile. The gallbladder holds bile that is produced in the liver, which is necessary in the breakdown of fats in digestion. When the bile flow is stopped or slowed down, this causes a build up of bile acids in the liver which can spill into the bloodstream.

They decided they would go ahead and take the baby, which made us all happy. I just didn't want to jack around with this anymore. We needed baby Abe to get here safe and sound. After waiting and waiting for her c-section Britney was taken into the O.R. early the next morning. Jason and I sat in the hall waiting for the okay to join her. I was there to cheer on my sis and take the first picture of baby Abe entering the world. It was pretty intense. There were 2 nurses at her feet, three doctors around her, then behind at her head was Jason, 2 anaesthesiologist, me and then 3 pediatricians to the left of me. We were crammed in there. As the time quickly passed and they were still trying to get little Abe out my anxiety level started going up and I mean very fast. I tried to not let Britney see it on my face but I thought something was wrong. Everyone started peaking around the curtain and I felt that I was seeing a look of concern. My heart was racing and I was having a really hard time breathing. All of a sudden they raised this beautiful baby above the curtain for us all to see. He was perfect and I snapped away. I was spinning by this time. The anxiety had totally gotten to me. I was scared out of my mind and was about to slide down the wall and pass out. One of the nurses rushed me out and stripped my scrubs off. I was as white as a ghost. I kept asking if he was okay. I could hear him crying and that made me feel so much better. I just needed to know he and Brit were both okay.
Once they came back to the recovery room I sat there taking pictures of Abe having his feet stamped and getting his first bath. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He was perfect!
Since December 19th both baby Abe and Britney are doing great and are home for Christmas. Silas is being a wonderful big brother. He loves Abe so much and has held him a couple of times. He told me last night while I was holding Abe, "Kiki when he gets big we can plaaaaaay." They are going to have so much fun together.
Below is a little slide show that I put together. Merry Christmas everyone!
-Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burke is 3!!!!!

Okay I have decided that time is going by way too fast.  Burke just turned 3 the beginning of June!  I can not believe it.  I feel like just yesterday I was in the hospital having the little guy!  We had a fun small family party and he is loving some super hero's right now so that was the theme :)  Silas really wanted to jump out when he walked in and yell surprise so that is what we did :)  Burke is super shy and he really wasn't a fan of it all.  Pibby and Pops got him his first bike and it is SO cute.   I picked up a balloon for all the kids and one special spider man one for Boo.  He has always loved balloons.  He said the sweetest thing....... he wanted to let his balloons go up to Mamie so she would know that it was his birthday.  I couldn't believe he let his special Spider Man one go.  It made me want to cry.  She should be here with us.  ANYWAYS, it was a fun day and I got some pictures of course and a few videos.  Happy 3rd Birthday Burkie BOO!  We love you so so

Baby Burke- Please Pray

Taylor and I went in for our big ultrasound this morning. I am 18 weeks along now, so they were checking out our baby boy closely. They found 2 genetic markers that caused a red flag. One cyst on the brain and his kidneys are enlarged. We need lots of prayers right now. Prayers for these markers to disappear and for our baby boy to be healthy. We also need prayers for our sanity as we wait, hope and pray. We will go back for another ultrasound in 8 weeks (March 31). We were told not to look this up on the internet and would appreciate only positive comments on this situation. God is good and we are leaving it in His hands. Thanks for your prayers, Sarah

NO FEAR!!!

I took the kids to the park this afternoon once the sun came out.  It was so beautiful and we love Woodlands Edge park.  Lots of trees, green space to run and Slides:) Winnie is small but that girl is mighty.  She has NO FEAR when it comes to the slides.  Which is totally different for me since Burke has always been so cautious.  I love days like this.  Feeling very blessed! - Sarah